The best part about being newlyweds, apart from the ceremony, of course, is the honeymoon. We can all agree that although weddings are beautiful, they are also stressful. Right from the planning to ensuring everything goes on glitch-free, it can be tedious. However, just like there is light at the end of the tunnel, you know you get to spend a wondrous time with your partner at your honeymoon. And, Mauritius is a breathtaking destination! But wait, how do you plan a perfect honeymoon in Mauritius? Fret not. Keep reading to know more.
Planning The Trip
Flights and Visa
Booking well in advance not only ensures a cheaper fare, but it also helps you book the best connecting flights. Generally, the best months to travel to Mauritius is between May to December. And, while you are there, at least make it a 5-day trip to completely soak in the beauty.
When it comes to Visa, if you are confused, you can always talk to a travel agent. For instance, if you are a US citizen, you don’t require a tourist visa and only need a valid US passport. Therefore, do your research before you apply for your visas.
Where to stay?
Today, there are several apps that can help you with the best accommodation out there. But, some of the best hotels in Mauritius include; St. Regis Mauritius Resort, Le Touessrok, and Maradiva Villas Resort & Spa.
Places to visit in Mauritius
In Mauritius, you will come across the most exquisite and pristine beaches. For instance, Tamarin Beach is famous for sunbathing, romantic dinners and even surfing while Grand Bay Public Beach is famous for yachting, fishing, and sailing. Therefore, as per your interests, make a list of all the places you would like to visit.
If you are the adventurous type, you can enjoy water sports and trekking amidst nature. There are also some gorgeous museums to keep all the history buffs out there happy and spas to help you relax after a taxing day.
Finally, don’t forget to try the local delicacies, such as the Mauritian Biriyani, Boulettes, Mine Frites, Du Pain Frire and more. And for shopping and souvenirs, you can try the most popular local markets- Le Craft Market, Goodlands, Grand Baie Bazaar, Quatre Bornes, Moka, and Flic En Flac
Packing Done Right
- Make sure you keep your passport and visa in a safe pouch, which is easily accessible.
- Always call the hotel before your journey to confirm your booking. If required, you can also request an early check-in.
- If you are planning to hire a rental car, make sure you carry your driver’s license with you.
- When it comes to credit cards, take only the ones you need and not all.
- Keep some cash on you.
- Just in case, carry your passport, visa, driver’s license and even prescription copies.
- Always keep a card, filled with your emergency contact information in your purse.
- Don’t forget to pack your prescription medicine, even birth control.
- If you are planning to take a camera, don’t forget to pack chargers and converters.
- Also, don’t forget your phone chargers.
- To ensure you don’t miss out on anything, always make a packing list. This way, you will never forget anything.
Now that essentials are out of the way, let’s take a look at everything a woman needs when in Mauritius for her honeymoon. You can definitely tweak this list and give it a personal touch, but here’s what we think you will need for a blissful time.
- Always carry a comfy pair of jeans and Ts.
- Take a look at the weather before you travel and pack accordingly. If you think you might need a jacket, don’t neglect it.
- Dresses, including evening wear.
- Cardigans and beach cover-ups.
- Shorts and swimsuits.
- If you are an adventurous couple who loves hiking or trekking, don’t forget your trainers.
- Sandals and flip-flops.
- A purse and a clutch.
- Lingerie for honeymoon and innerwear.
- Sleepwear, sunscreen, makeup, sunglasses, hat, and jewelry (inexpensive ones).
- Jeans and t-shirts
- Evening wear
- Jacket and trainers, if required
- A cap
Things you might need
Now that all the main items are packed. Take a look at other stuff you might need.
- Medicines (for tummy troubles, headache, etc.)
- Aloe vera or aftersun lotion
- Tampons or pads
- Books to read while traveling
- Earphones or headphones
- A guidebook
- Playing cards
- A journal
- Dental hygiene kit
- Perfumes and deodorant
- Hairclips, hair bands, and razors
- Earbuds, shampoo, soap, and hair conditioner
- Body lotion
- Plastic covers
- Wet wipes and hand sanitizers
Also, before you leave home, always make sure your family has all the necessary information, which includes your full itinerary with the name of the hotel and phone numbers. It is always better to be safe than sorry.
The last thing that you want is to face during this time is to deal with unexpected interruptions. Add travel protection for 24/7 travel assistance services while booking your airfare. It will also cover protection from trip delays, trip interruptions, trip cancellations, baggage delays, emergency medical expenses and emergency evacuation. So, fret the sweat and focus on creating memories.